Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Myths and Misconceptions

It is wonderful and increasingly rare to read an article on the internet that has me nodding my head, and thinking, I have never thought about it that way. What a great way of explaining this idea.

Natalie Reed's 13 Myths and Misconceptions About Trans-Women has done just that for me.

There are beautifully simple ideas here:

… sexual orientation is about who you want to go to bed with, gender identity is about who you want to go to bed as.

but for me, this article is important because she has expressed some universal truths about the human condition., such as:

"If prevention of sexual assault is something you’re keenly interested in then please start by focusing on dismantling a misogynistic culture that objectifies and devalues women and places their humanity as secondary to their bodies."

For more of the same go here for part one.

4 comments:

  1. #3 is a misconception, but it also contains misconceptions. We might not be defined by our genitals, but they are much more than a tiny piece of the puzzle. When you're born transsexual, that's the part that really bothers you and must be fixed.

    Or maybe it's because she's writing about "trans women."

    Myth #8 (or #14, since she's going to continue): Women born transsexual who change sex are "trans women" rather than women who happened to be born with a birth defect and dealt with it. A very harmful myth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having NOT read this "essay/article" by Ms. Reed, I have to agree w/ Ariel, that this particular "writer" is wrting about "trans-women", advancing an agenda, the "TG Agenda" wherein folks are who they claim to be with absolutely NO RELATION to emirical fact.

    Also, without having read the above referenced "meme",n I nam already finding issue with the "logic/arguement" that we live in a "misogynistic culture that objectifies and devalues women and places their humanity as secondary to their bodies."

    I cannot agree with that POV/OPINION, offered as fact by an obviously BIASED writer. To do so would require a suspension of reason and OBSRVABLE FACTS: IE, R E A L I T Y.

    I am not disputing te facts that women are subject to rape and other forms of male dominance, but to argue that this is culturally accepted is to IGNORE the REALITY that the MOST women are NOT. we are most fortunateto live in a culture where women are valued, honored, respected and protected.

    I will now goo see if I can manage to muddled hrough what I expect will be a painful example of convoluted "progressive liberalist victimhood"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to see Anne and Ariel working together and tag-teaming the blogs.

    I hope you will someday be joined by other women who have had their birth problems resolved by surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Natalie made some good points. I have had some of those misconceptions directed at me. I just took issue with her perpetuation of the misconception that what's between your legs doesn't matter (or doesn't matter that much). That misconception actually reinforces some of the others and undercuts her attempt at myth busting.

    ReplyDelete

The People - Personal Thoughts

Cobweb Corner - Older Blogs, Not Recently Updated